Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Welcome to the new US Police State!

WHAT DOES HR 4844 DO? The votes

What HR 4844 does is require "government-issued, current and valid photo identification
for which the individual was required to provide proof of United States citizenship as a condition
for the issuance of the identification" -- this is quoting from the text of the bill.
Drivers licenses do not fit this definition because proof of citizenship is not required to obtain a driver's license (there are three states that DO require proof of citizenship but the majority do not).
The only existing document that fits this definition is a passport. In order to get a passport
you need to obatin your state issued birth certification (not a hopsital version). There are
fees connected to getting your birth certificate. Married women might need to provide copies of their marriage license to document their name change (another cost and more hassle).

All this just to be given a ballot in order to vote. Not to register to vote but to cast a ballot.
HR 4844 is an add-on to the "Real ID" bill that was tacked on to the Defense Appropriations bill last year. It is part of a strategic plan to track U.S. citizens in all aspects of their lives. The Hyde bill has been lurking since April, ready to be sprung in time for election year grandstanding.

Text of Bill visit THOMAS and search on "Federal Election Integrity" HR 4844

Getting a passport where I live takes 30-40 days but can expediated for a fee of $35 in addition to the original cost ($30 in 2002), the cost of two-away overnight postage (I ship a lot so I know it would be around $15 each way.) and the cost of the photo (place in the mall does it for $15).

You will need a birth certificate. For me, the cost is $19 and takes around 6 weeks. AFTER you have proven you are who you say you are. In California, where my current husband was born, you have to have notarized documents proving your identity.

As a married woman, I could be required to establish my name changes. At three marriages and two divorces, I will need to come up with two marriage licenses (One "disappeared" while being copied by Social Services about 15 years ago and I might have burned one of them okay.) and divorce papers. THAT I can do. I think I framed the first one. I have yet to figure out how I go about get a copy of the marriage license from Ohio. Talk about a pain in the butt website. So let's just put it at $10 each and at least 4 weeks to obtain.

Those documents would establish I am who I say I am. Here's the list of what it would cost me to vote.

Birth Certificate 6 weeks $19.00
Marriage License 4 weeks $10.00
Marriage License 4 weeks $10.00
Divorce Papers Have .00
Total for docs: $39.00

Passport app 30-40 days $30.00
Expediated 7-10 days $35.00
Photo $15.00
Shipping $30.00
Total admin costs: $110.00

So I'm seeing 8 weeks and $149 to be allowed to vote. IF I start NOW. Imagine how much price gouging will go on if this becomes law and everyone MUST have these documents?

Anyone else have a problem with this?

No comments: